This is the diary of Horace Poole for the year of 1861 when he served in the Civil War through the Iowa “Governor’s Greys” on the Union side (although they had Grey uniforms).  They were pledged to the United States service before Lincoln was elected and on May 14th, 1861 they were called for three month’s service.  The first part is written in ink, but the battfield part was written primarily in pencil because of the problems carrying pen and ink while in service.  The diary is now difficult to read, so I scanned it in, converted it to black and white and increased the contrast to make it more readable.  Each day is linked to a scanned image of the diary and can be viewed much larger than the original.  Note that lots of pages are blank.  I am sure he did not have time to keep entries every day, so recounted previous days from memory when he had a chance to write.  I have made my notes in brackets [like this] where I try to clarify something or provide a link to internet information. 


This diary was originally transcribed by Tom and Carol (Poole) Borchelt in all upper case using Wordstar for DOS.  I converted it to Word 2010 and restored proper case, hopefully faithful to the original and linked it to the scanned images.  Barry Briggs (husband of Anne Poole Borchelt Briggs) August 25, 2012.


This is the image of the front of the outside of the diary.  The original size is about 2 ½ x 4 inches.


Inside of the front cover:


Should it be my lot to fall upon the battlefield please forward this Diary to

Fitch Poole Esq.

South Danvers


Horace Poole


Next page (first loose page)


            Co. “II  [ in light pencil at top of page, following in ink:]


Horace Poole

“Governors Greys.”

First Reg’t D.S.V.


Davenport, Iowa

April 1861

Co. “I”


Printed diary manufacturer information

Postage rates and Almanac


1/1/1861               Tuesday

A fine day.  Richmond, Wakefield, Johnson, Scott and myself busy in making calls upon our female friends.  Had a gay time.  Rode out to Alexanders at night.


1/3/1861               Thursday

[List of items bought for the store in Dubuque.]


1/4/1861               Friday

[List of items bought for the store in Dubuque, continued]



3/1/1861               Friday

Commenced boarding at Mrs. D's.


3/4/1861               Monday

Abe Lincoln inaugeriated as President of the U. S. to day-


4/8/1861               Monday

Gen. Beauregard informed to day that the U. S. government would provision Fort Sumpter "peaceably if they could, forcably if they must"


4/12/1861               Friday

Fort Sumpter surrendered to the fired into by the So. Carolina forces by Maj. Anderson after 36 hours siege.  a sad thing for the south.  Am now ready to fight.  [penciled in below: ] Surrendered the 13th instead of the 12th.


4/13/1861               Saturday

Fort Sumpter surrendered to the Confederated Forces


4/18/1861               Thursday

A large and enthusiastic War Meeting held at the town hall in South Danvers tonight.  The old town true to the "Union and Flag".


4/21/1861               Sunday

Pleasant.  Attended the Unionalist Church in the morning.


4/22/1861               Monday

Very pleasant.  Very busy at our armory recruiting.  Received orders to day to leave for rondezvous at Davenport tomorrow.  Wrote several letters and very busy in arranging affairs, calling upon my friends and bidding them good bye.  Took tea at Mrs. Baylies.  Attended drill of the corps at Lorimier Hall in the evening.


4/23/1861               Tuesday

Warm and showery.  Was appointed quartermaster of the corps to day.  Very busy making preparations to leave this afternoon.  Telegraphed home the fact of my leaving this P.M.  assembled at the armory at 2 o'clock.  After "falling in", Rev.  J. S. Dennis made a beautiful prayer to the corps.  Left the armory at 3 o'clock with 95 men.  tremendous crowd and much enthusiasm & feeling manifested.  Jackson guards with 90 men fell in at 6th St.  marched to the levee amid cheers, booming of cannon, God speeds, adieus etc.  A sad parting from friends.  At 4 1/2 boat left and we are fairly off for the wars.  [Sideways]


4/24/1861               Wednesday

Pleasant with a high wind.  Arrived at Davenport at 7 o'clock.  Rec'd by the D. C. Artillery and City Guards.  The G.G's quartered at the armory of the D.C.A.  Not feeling well.  Took a room at the "British House" and retired getting no better fast.  Called a physician at 6 o'clock and again at midnight.  Had a sick night.  Cy Fletcher with me.  A number of the members called to see me.  Wrote notes to Mrs. Dyer & Will Burn.


4/25/1861               Thursday

Warm and pleasant, still on the sick list.  not feeling well.  did not get up until late in the afternoon,  wrote home and mailed a paper.  Fletcher with me most of the day.  Company under army regulations, and very busy drilling.  did not go out of the house.  Quite a number of Dubuque lawyers arr'd today and called upon me.


4/26/1861               Friday

Pleasant.  Still at the "British House".  got up in the afternoon and went down town for a short time to see the company drill.  Noticed a great improvement.  Wrote to Dan Grosvenor in the evening.  Rec'd a letter from Ingalls.  Capt Hernon left for Dubuque to get uniforms made for the Grays.  Dubuque papers rec'd today.  still at the British House.


4/27/1861               Saturday

Cloudy.  Reported for duty this A.M. at the armory in the forenoon.  Sergt. Russell left for Dubuque to spend the Sabbath with his new wife.  Capt. P.G. Herron arr'd.  Had my photograph taken in uniform.  At the armory a short time in the evening, after being dismissed played billiards.  Rec'd letters from father, Dan Grosvenor and Mrs. Baylies, also papers from home.


4/28/1861               Sunday

Very pleasant.  piped to prayers and breakfast at 5 o'clock.  Most of the Grays went to hear our chaplain (Mr. Fuller) preach in the forenoon.  Myself busy writing letters at the "British House" until noon.  Wrote to Mrs. Dyer, Mrs. Baylies and Joe Baker.  In the afternoon strolled over on Armstrong's Island.  Serg't Osborne and squad of recruits arr'd from Dubuque this morning bringing a large quantity of Cake, Hams etc. A present from the Dubuque ladies.  attended church with the "Grays" in the evening.  drum and fife.


4/29/1861               Monday

Warm and pleasant.  Received a letter from Arthur in the morning.  Company drilled on the fairgrounds in the forenoon.  do in the armory in the afternoon.  Rec'd a letter from Billy Daniels informing me that he was at hand with the "Cadets".


4/30/1861               Tuesday

Very pleasant.  Drilling at the fairgrounds in the forenoon.  Company done well.  Lieut. Clark arrived this morning, all glad to welcome him.  Wrote to father and Arthur and sent a copy of my photograph (in uniform) to Mother and one to Geo. W. Benson.  Rec'd a letter from Walter Dryer .  Cake etc. with Conger.


5/1/1861               Wednesday

Cool and pleasant.  Drill at fairgrounds.  Wrote to Walter this morning.  Commenced drilling some of our recruits with muskets today.  Capt. Henson & Corp. Russell & wife arrived from Dubuque this P.M.  Received a box of excellent cake and an interesting letter from Mrs. D.  Jerry Howard & Judge Pollock leave for Dubuque tonight.  Wrote a few lines to Smock, Rich, Curtis etc sent by Jerry.


5/2/1861               Thursday

Cool and high wind.  Drilling a squad with muskets.  Balance of company on the street for drill.  Received a letter from Mother.  Wrote to L.C.D. this morning.


5/3/1861               Friday

Cloudy and cool.  Drilling sixty men with muskets.  Wrote to Mother in the evening.  Noah arrived today.  Shirts distributed among the men.  Col. Bates, Mr. Kenny, Dr. Smith, Pat Shop, Smith and Charley Udall in town today. 


5/4/1861               Saturday

Pleasant day.  Received orders today to leave tomorrow for Keokuk.  Busy in the evening packing up.  Rec'd an invitation with the officers of the "Grays" to attend a large party this evening.  Wrote to my "Lake" friends.  Sent my photograph to Annie.


5/5/1861               Sunday

A rainy morning.  Left at eight o'clock for Keokuk on the str. Hawk Eye State together with Capt. Wentz. Company of Davenport & the "Jackson Guards" of Dubuque.  great enthusiasm.  Arrived at Burlington at five o'clock P.M., laid here until nearly ten.  Turned in for a good nights rest.  Wrote to my parents in the evening.


5/6/1861               Monday

Very pleasant.  Arrived at Keokuk at half past five.  very busy looking out for our baggage and getting it to quarters.  Took breakfast at the "Demming House".  Have excellent quarters in the U.S.Court House building.  Ex Gov. Lowe very attentive to us.  No drilling today as all are busy getting settled.


5/7/1961               Tuesday

Pleasant with a high wind.  Three hours drill in the morning and afternoon.  Two Companies from Muscatine and two from Burlington arrived today.  Keokuk Iowa presents a lively appearance, about 600 troops are now concentrated here.  Balance expected tomorrow.  Serg't Howard arrived from Dubuque today.  Capt Hernon left for Iowa City.


5/8/1861               Wednesday

Warm and very pleasant.  Company drilled on the streets with muskets for the first time.  Morse and self on guard last night from 10 to 2 o'clock.  Not feeling first rate.  Wrote to Judge Pollock this afternoon.  Mailed a paper to mother.  Played billiards in the evening.


5/9/1861               Thursday

Very pleasant.  Had a good street drill in the forenoon.  Three companies arrived last night.  One from Mt. Pleasant, one from Cedar Rapids, one Iowa City.  Reg't now full.  Dr. Spotswood & Col. Bates arrived today, also a large box of cake etc from our lady friends. Rec'd a box from Mrs. D.  Considerable talk of the election of our Col. Which takes place Saturday.  Rec'd the Wizard of May 1st.  Smith, Cunghm & Johnson arr'd last night.


5/10/1861               Friday

Very pleasant.  Election of Regiment officers tomorrow.  Considerable wire pulling going on.  Held a meeting on the subject.  Col. J. Bates of Dubuque declared the Man for the place.  Mersilt Lund Col and Porter Major.  Rec'd a letter from Dan Grosvenor, forwarded from Davenport.  On guard at quarters last night from 10 to 2 o'clock.  Wrote to Mrs. Dyer.


5/11/1861               Saturday

Warm and pleasant.  Election of officers of the regiment resulted in the election of Col. Bates without opposition.  Merritt & Porter by 8 Maj. Victory enough for one day.  Rec'd a letter from Frank and Uncle Gus.  Played billiards in the afternoon & evening.  Capt Hernon arrived last night.


5/12/1861               Sunday

A rainy day.  Str. "Key City" arrived this morning from Dubuque having on board our new uniforms and those of the "Jackson Guards".  distributed them among the men.  Was disappointed in them although the best in the regiment.  Company attended the Congregational Church in the morning.  Wrote a letter to Frank.  Attended the Episcopal Church in the evening with a dozen of “our boys”.


5/13/1861               Monday

Warm and pleasant.  Usual routine of drill etc.  Received a letter from Dan Grosvenor also the Wizard from home.


5/14/1861               Tuesday

Pleasant.  Our company underwent the usual medical survey preparatory to being sworn into service.  Four men on the “sick list” were rejected.  Were sworn into the service of the U.S. This afternoon by Lieut. Chambers of the U.S.Army - all took the oath.


5/15/1861               Wednesday

Pleasant.  Lieut Clark and sergt. Osborn arrived from Dubuque this morning on the Str. "Metropolitan" bringing with them several letters and packages from absent friends.  Received letters from W.C.Dyers and Mr. Baylies.  Had a street parade with muskets and accoutrements and music yesterday.


5/16/1861               Thursday

Warm and pleasant.  Street drill in the morning.  Mailed a paper

"Wizard" to Gussie L.  Seventy tents received this afternoon and stored in our armory.


5/17/1861               Friday

Warm and pleasant.  Had a good street drill in the morning.  Busy in the afternoon writing letters.  Wrote to Arthur, Joe Baker and Mr. Baylies.  Received a letter from Joe Baker.  8000 Ball cartridges received this afternoon and placed in our armory.  Received a very interesting letter from Frank.


5/18/1861               Saturday

Very pleasant.  Street drill in the morning.  Wrote a long letter to Frank in the afternoon.  Joe Bagnet put in irons today for 36 hours. cause drunkeness.  On guard from 8 to 10 P.M. Relieved by Morse. After which went to Dutch dance at "Turners Hall". Got home at 12 o'clock.  Showery.  Countersign - "Ringold"


5/19/1861               Sunday

Warm and showery.  At one o'clock this morning a guard of six men was detailed to protect 2000 muskets which arrived from St Louis.  Received a paper from Davenport.  Orders from Lieut. Col for our company to furnish a guard of ten men with loaded muskets over the U.S. arms until 7 o'clock tomorrow morning was issued this A.M.  Sergts Osborn & Gifford with a squad attended church.  A scouting party of cavelry left this morning to reconoiter in this vicinity as suspicious persons are hovering about.  Wrote to Dan Grosvenor.  On guard as sergeant at the levee with a squad of ten men from 10 o'clock to two.  [Sideways]


5/20/1861               Monday

A dull, disagreeable rainy day.  Drilled in the armory in the forenoon.  Received papers from home.  Ossian Dodge gave a concert in the evening.  Attended a lecture delivered by Major Sheagan of the U.S.A. Who was taken prisoner by the Confederate Army in Texas, and who is now on parole.  A very interesting and instructive lecture.  countersign- “Dubuque”.  Mailed two papers to Davenport.


5/21/1861               Tuesday

A delightful day.  Street drill in the morning.  Hyde Clark received news of the birth of a daughter on the 19th. Great rejoicing.  No drill in the afternoon on account of it.  Hyde, Osborn, Pierce, Smith & self went over to Hamilton Ill's. Had a fine time.  Played billiards in the evening.  Four weeks today the "Greys" left Dubuque for Davenport.


5/22/1861               Wednesday

Warm and pleasant.  Street drill in the morning.  Euchared Charley Clark out of the theater tickets.  Col Bates and Wilkie arrived today, bringing many letters.  Rec'd one from L and from Walter.  Part of a company of the second regiment arrived today.  A squad detailed to pitch tents on the camp ground, but order was afterwards countermanded.  Attended theater with a large squad of the  "Greys" in the evening.  Enjoyed it much.  W.F.brackett arrived today.  Countersign-"Chicago"  "Harpers Weekly" of this week contains an illustration of the lanterns leaving Dubuque.


5/23/1861               Thursday

Warm and pleasant.  Street drill in the forenoon, afternoon marched to the warehouse where the muskets were distributed to the first reg’t.  Received a letter from Frank.  Wrote to Mrs. D.  Mailed a paper "Wizard" to Annie Baker.  Four companies of the 2nd arrived today.  Countersign - Dubuque.  City full of soldiers.


5/24/1861               Friday

Very warm.  No drill.  At 12 o'clock left the armory for the grand picnic given the military by the ladies of Keokuk.  A large crowd on the grounds.  Everybody satisfied.  A complete success.  Got home at five o'clock.  Rec'd a letter & daquerreotype from Joe and Annie.  Wrote them in the evening.  On guard from 10 to 12 o'clock.  Six companies of the 2nd reg't arrived today, 2-Davenport, 1 Ottawa, 1 Fairfield 2 -----.  Very tired, very hot.  Countersign "Bunker Hill"


5/25/1861               Saturday

Very warm and sultry.  Drilling in the manual.  Wrote a long letter to Frank in reply to his of the 19th.  Was excused from drill in the afternoon.  Cy Fletcher & self rode out to the camp ground where squads from different companies were pitching tents.


5/26/1861               Sunday

Pleasant with a high wind.  About the quarters in the forenoon.  Afternoon a squad of some fifty of the "Greys" attended the Episcopal Church where they heard a sermon prepared for them.  In the evening visited the Medical College & Hospital.  Received a Wizard containing my letter of the 11th inst.


5/27/1861               Monday

Very pleasant.  Street drill and manual in the forenoon.  Wrote a letter to Walter.  Our company detailed for guard over the muskets at the levee.  I go on at 12 o'clock (midnight) as Corp. For four hours.  A beautiful night.


5/28/1861               Tuesday

A rainy day.  Drilled in the armory.  Seven companies of the first reg't went into camp today.  Was detailed as corporal of the guard at the levee from 4 to 8 P.M.  Relieved by Corp. Duncan.  The balance of our tents arrived this afternoon.  "Turned in" early feeling pretty well used up.


5/29/1861               Wednesday

Very pleasant.  Very fatiguing drills all day, the hardest days work we have yet had.  Sent a letter to Walter by messenger going to Dubuque.  Mailed a "Wizard" to Annie and a Herald to Joe Forness.  Called at medical college to see Charley Morse.  Going into camp tomorrow - sorry - feeling used up that is true.


5/30/1861               Thursday

Very pleasant.  On guard from 4 to 6 A.M. Feeling very unwell.

Attacked with the billious colic in the night, in great pain nearly all day.  No drilling today.  Company bade adieu to our good quarters and went into camp at 4 o'clock P.M.  Took a room at the "Leighton Hotel" where I shall remain until I feel better.


5/31/1861               Friday

Rainey day.  Feeling considerable better.  Shall go out to camp tomorrow.  Two companies of the third regiment arrived today.  Received a letter from mother, and replied to the same.  Election of regimental officers of the 2nd reg't was held today - Curtis – Col. - Capt. Turtle - Lieut. Col. - Capts Crocker. Major -


6/1/1861               Saturday

Warm and showery.  Received a letter from L.C.D. Learned from some of “our boys” that they passed a very exiting night at camp on account of an anticipation of a desparate fight between the Greys and Burlington Zouaves they having threatened to tear down our tents.  An armed guard was kept on every tent.  Gave up my room at the hotel and went to camp after supper.  A rainy night.  Hard to keep dry.  Occupied tent no 9 "Stars & Stripes".


6/2/1861               Sunday

Warm and showery in the morning, pleasant afternoon.  Feeling much better.  Received a very interesting letter from cousin Emmie.  Had divine service on the parade ground, our chaplain Mr. Fuller officiated,  text psalms 119-140-  dress parade at 6 o'clock.  Many visitors in camp.  Excursion from Burlington around this P.M.


6/3/1861               Monday

Warm and cloudy.  "Jackson Guards" on guard today.  Usual morning and afternoon drill and dress parade.


6/4/1861               Tuesday

Pleasant morning but very heavy thunder storms in the afternoon.  Our company performing guard duty.  Was completely drenched on the 12 o'clock relief.  Quite a disturbance between the "Greys" and “Burlington Zouaves” on our arresting two of their men.  The reg't with the exception of our company marched to town this afternoon.  Returned at 7 o'clock pretty well soaked.  Rec'd a short letter and "Wizard" from father.


6/5/1861               Wednesday

Warm and pleasant.  Was relieved by Co. "K" at 8 o'clock.  No drill for us until dress parade.  All feeling pretty well used up.  A squad of 15 went swimming this morning.  Slept all the afternoon.  Our dress parade passed off finely today.  Received a letter from Annie.  Gen'l order's No. 13 relating to drill & reveille changed.  Roll call at 4 1/2 A.M. Instead of 5 1/2.  2.5 Hours drill in the forenoon instead of 1.5 hours. to take effect tomorrow.


6/6/1861               Thursday

Warm and pleasant.  Guard detailed from the several companies to day - 7 from each.  Washington guards and companies from Cedar Falls & Butter Co. Left Dubuque today for rondezous at Keokuk.  Dress parade as usual, did not go off very well.  Bathing in the forenoon.


6/7/1861               Friday

Warm & pleasant.  Long drill in the morning.  Devoted the forenoon to answering cousin Emmie’s letter.  Mailed a "Wizard" to Annie.  Orders issued today allowing men not on duty to go outside the lines and within a mile from camp, very acceptable.  Regimental drill at five P.M. Instead of the dress parade.  Belts and accouterments distributed to the reg't today.  Rec'd a letter from Frank,


6/8/1861               Saturday

Warm and pleasant.  Not feeling very well.  Three companies arrived on the "Key City" from Dubuque this morning.  Quite a number of the Washington guards visited us in camp lines.  Hyde Clark arrived from Dubuque today, all glad to see him.  Rev. M. Collins, Judge Pollock, W.J. Baker Esq and Miz Mills down to see us, all glad to see our Dubuque friends.


6/9/1861               Sunday

A beautiful day.  Was detailed with six others of our company for guard duty today - on the first relief.  Post No 21.  Divine service in the forenoon.  A great many ladies and gents visited our camp in the afternoon.  dress parade passed off well.  Very quiet about the camp.  Only four arrests made.  Had a very easy night of guard duty.


6/10/1861               Monday

A beautiful day.  Was relieved at 8 A.M.  Am exempt from drill today.  Lieut. Clark drilling the company in Wheelings.  Wrote a letter to L.C.D.


6/11/1861               Tuesday

A warm day.  The regiment marched to Keokuk today and took part in the Douglas obsequies - an imposing sight - 3000 soldiers in the procession.  A very fatiguing march.  Rec'd a letter from Dan Grosvenor and G.R. Smock.


6/12/1861               Wednesday

Warm and pleasant.  Morning drill as usual.  Wrote a long letter to Frank(Wizard).  Rec'd the "Wizard" containing one of my letters, also a letter from Walter.  Batallion drill in the afternoon.  News of a battle at "Bethels Point" received today.


6/13/1861               Thursday

Warm and pleasant.  Great exitement on account of an uprising of the secessionists in Missouri.  The 2nd reg't I.S.V. Left at 8 A.M. For Hannibal.  We expect to go this afternoon,  all busy packing up.  2 O'clock P.M. Struck our tents - 3 left camp Eelsworth for the Str "Jeanie Deans"  embarked amid great enthusiasm.  Pleasant trip.  Arrived at Hannibal at midnight.  Slept on the floor of the freight depot.


6/14/1861               Friday

Very pleasant.  Bob Siller's company came in from the country with three secession prisoners.  great exitement.  Six companies of our regiment left in the H. & St. Jo. R.R.  Any quantity of fun and exitement on the route chopping down secession poles etc.  Went into camp at March City (70 miles from Hannibal) a hot secession town.  Wrote a few lines home - turned in standing


6/15/1861               Saturday

Warm & pleasant.  quite a number of secession prisoners captured by squads from different companies.  Our men made several hauls of powder, ball, drum & fife etc.  Co. B sent down the road 2 miles to protect a bridge.  Co. D sent to Polymia [Polymyra?],   bal of reg't arrived this evening.  Great exitement in town.  Raised the stars and stripes on a secession pole.  Quite a number of bridges burned on the no. Mo. Road.  Our company on picket guard at night.  Wrote home.


6/16/1861               Sunday

Warm & pleasant.  On guard all day, pretty hard after being up all night on picket duty.  Expecting to leave today.  Considerable exitement about the camp, two or three arrests made.  Was relieved from guard duty at 7 P.M.  News rec'd that the track of the No. Missouri R.R. Was torn up by secessionists some 20 miles from here.


6/17/1861               Monday

Warm & pleasant.  Still in Macon City.  Many rumors in circulation as regards our departure etc.  A report that a body of secessioners was approaching our camp was received by a scout this morning and the whole regiment was turned out for action.  Great exitement.  Wrote home and mailed the "Whole Union" to Father & Geo Benson.  A portion of the second reg’t arrived this afternoon who are to accompany us to Arrow Rock tomorrow morning at 5 o'clock.  Secessionists defeated at Bonnville Mo. By Gen Lyon.


6/18/1861               Tuesday

Warm and pleasant although storming in the morning.  Our reg't left this morning at 10 o'clock for Renick on the No. Mo. R.R. And at 3 o'clock, there met some 200 rebels who fled immediately on our approach.  Seized a large secession flag- cleaned out the Fancey House, painted a large sign (30 inch letters) "Union Hotel" on the house, and raised the American Flag on their secession pole amid great exitement & enthusiasm.  Rec'd news of the defeat of the rebels by Gen. Lyon at Booneville.  Laid an hour without pitching our tents.  Took several ox teams for transporting our baggage tomorrow.


6/19/1861               Wednesday

Very warm & pleasant.  Reg't left Renick this morning for a march of 45 miles to

Booneville.  Halted for rest 6 miles from Renick and again 10 miles for dinner & supper.  The first hard work we have had.  Resumed our March at 4 o'clock, arrived at "Bunker Hill" where we halted for the night, and laid around loose.  Slept soundly.


6/20/1861               Thursday

Very warm and pleasant.  Was turned out at 3 o'clock and resumed our march for Booneville.  Arrived at Fayette (a town of some 3000 inhabitants) and a little inclined to secession at ten o'clock.  Laid over for rest and dinner in a beautiful grove.  Very tired and feet much blistered.  Started again at four.  Halted within four miles of Booneville at nine o'clock pretty well used up by our long march.  Again laid out- have marched 22 miles today- slept very soundly, about used up.


6/21/1861               Friday

Very warm and pleasant.  Started at four o'clock for Booneville.  Co. I As rear guard.  arrived at the Mo. River at eight where we found two boats awaiting to take us across the river to Booneville, then we joined Gen. Lyons force of 2000 troops occupying five large steamers.  Our reg't with part of Gen L--s are quartered for the present on the Str's "White Cloud" & "City of Louisiana".  our company quartered on the lower deck and d-d bad quarters too.  The hardest life I ever had.  Slept on the guards of the boat rolled up in my blanket.  Wrote a few lines home but hardly think it will ever reach its destination as mail communication is very uncertain.


6/22/1861               Saturday

Warm & showery.  Still aboard the Louisiana stowed away like a lot of logs-  Circulated among the troops, examined Gen Lyon's battery of one 64 pounder & 2 six pounders on board the Str. Ang. McDowel, the former being the gun that did the damage in the enemies camp last Monday.  The latter captured from the enemy the same day.  A squad of us visited the town in the afternoon.  A very pleasant place containing about 3500 inhabitants, the town in possession of Gen. Lyon's troops.  One company busy in throwing up breastworks to command the river.  Col. Blair with 600 troops left for St Louis.  One reg't with flying artillery out after Gen. Jackson- slept on deck- raining fast.


6/23/1861               Sunday

A rainy day.  Men busy washing their clothes.  Reminds me much of my life at sea.  Some talk of our going into camp here today.  Wrote a long letter home but do not know when I shall be able to send it.  Cleared off in the afternoon.  Most of our men in town this afternoon.  The Aug. Mcdowell with the officer's of the regiment went down the river to the battleground.


6/24/1861               Monday

Very warm and pleasant.  Left our quarters on the boat and went out to camp in the fair grounds.  The best camping grounds we have had.  Gen. Lyons purchased some fifty teams to transport our baggage- over seven days rations.  Think we have some marching to do, possibly to ArKansas.  Wrote a letter to Mrs. Dyer to be sent to St. Louis and then mailed by Serg't Osborn who is sent off as special messenger by Col. Bates.  Reg't rec'd canteens this day.


6/25/1861               Tuesday

Warm & pleasant.  Thunder shower at night.  Wrote a letter home.  Sam Osborn left for St. Louis on the Str. D. A. January.  Company drilling as skirmishers this afternoon.  A squad of ten men from each company of the Iowa reg't detailed to work in the trenches.  1000 Rifle-muskets arrived this morning on the January from Jefferson City.  Some fifty more teams bought today.


6/26/1861               Wednesday

Warm and pleasant, short drill in the morning.  Rec'd orders to pack our baggage, one valise allowed to each tent.  At noon two members of co. "F" were shot by the accidental discharge of a gun, one badly wounded in the thigh, the other a slight scalp wound, but a narrow escape for both.  One man drowned.  Co. "B" hung Gov. Jackson in effigy.  Hiram Price arrived this afternoon with money for the Iowa reg't.  Was paid off at night ($8.07) great rejoicing in camp.  A rainy night.


6/27/1861               Thursday

Warm and cloudy.  Most of the regiment went to town to get rid of some of the money received last night.  A squad of nine "Grays" dined at the "City Hotel".  Enjoyed our dinner much.  Bought a few necessaries and luxuries for our march.  Got back to camp "Cameron" at about 4 o'clock pretty tired.  Have eaten and drank more today than for a week.  Rec'd haversacks & new cartridges & had an inspection of our traps after supper.  Looks as though we are to move.  Quite a number of the regulars flogged today.  Considerable drunkeness in camp.


6/28/1861               Friday

Rainy day.  No drill or anything else of importance going on in camp. still expecting to receive orders to move.  probably the muddy condition of the roads have something to do with the delay.


6/29/1861               Saturday

A rainy gloomy disagreeable day.  No life at all in camp, everybody inclined to keep inside their tents.  Seems more like Sunday and a dull one at that.  Fresh beef for dinner.  Fried lamb.  to sleep in the afternoon.  A petition in circulation to be presented to the captain of the several companies of our reg't requesting them to inform Gen. Lyons that it is not our determination to re-enlist at the expiration of our three months in order to correct a rumor supposed to have reached him that we are in for three years


6/30/1861               Sunday

Warm and pleasant.  Airing our tents & blankets.  Divine service in camp by the chaplain of the Mo. Reg't.  The several companies here encamped mustered for inspection to day and the payroll made up.  The Str. "Spread Eagle" from above was "brought too" and made to show her colors by a shot from one of Gen Lyon's "six pounders" which was thrown across her bows.  A good shot, and much excitement for us green ones.  Considerable life in camp "Cameron" today.


7/1/1861               Monday

Very pleasant.  Had a regimental parade in town this morning.  Think we made a good impression.  In the afternoon the 1st Missouri marched in town.  Commissary stores arrived from St. Louis on the Str. "Louisana" this evening.  Shall probably move soon.  Slept outside.  A rather cool berth. 


7/2/1861               Tuesday

A beautiful day.  Our company out skirmishing in the forenoon.  Had a fine drill.  Had a little target practice.  Wrote quite a long letter home informing them that we march tomorrow.  Very busy packing up for a long march.


7/3/1861               Wednesday

Very warm and pleasant.  Struck our tents at 5 o'clock and at 8 the brigade under command of Gen. Lyon took up it's line of march.  Some 3000 troops and nearly 200 teams comprised the line.  Halted at a creek some 15 miles from Booneville for the night.  Pitched our encampment.  all very tired and footsore.


7/4/1861               Thursday

Very warm and pleasant.  Reveille beat at 3 o'clock, eat breakfast.  Struck tents and resumed our march at half past five.  Halted at 3 o'clock P.M. after eighteen miles march for the night, a very fatiguing march and an unpleasant way to celebrate the 4th of July.  Did not pitch our tents but laid around loose.  Left six of our tents on the road as the load was too heavy for our teams.


7/5/1861               Friday

A cloudy morning.  Reveille at 3 o'clock , resumed our March at 5 o'clock, commenced raining at eight and rained steadily until afternoon,  at eleven the roads were so heavy we were obliged to halt which we did at a small creek.  Marched today about 13 miles.  All wet through.  Pitched our tents and made ourselves as comfortable as possible.  On the march we were obliged to throw off four more tents.  Walton, Emily & Farnum sent back to Booneville sick.


7/6/1861               Saturday

A beautiful day.  Reveille at 3 o'clock.  Marched at five.  Missouri regiments on the right. Halted at 3 o'clock after the most fatiguing march yet. made near a small creek some 23 miles from our last nights camping ground.  Foraged a little and suceeded in getting some chickens, milk and butter.  pitched our encampment, all about used up.  Battle between Col Seigle & Gen Jackson 20 miles from Springfield, Mo. The latter losing many men, and the former retreating, but making sad havoc in the rebels force.


7/7/1861               Sunday

Pleasant morning, a little cloudy & a good breeze, a fine day for marching.  Reveille at three, resumed our march at five.  Co. I as rear guard, a comparatively easy position.  Halted at 2 o'clock at Grand River, distance marched today 17 miles.  Here met

reinforcements from Kansas, 2 reg'ts vol'ts, 4 companies regulars, 3 companies cavalry (3000).  Rec'd information from scouts that Jackson + Gen. Reans with 8000 men are encamped 60 miles from here.  Teams being ferried across all night.  Some work, think we shall not get away tomorrow.


7/8/1861               Monday

Very pleasant.  Men lying around.  Our teams being ferried across the river.  companies went across late in the afternoon and encamped.  Missouri regiments, artillery & cavalry went on to the Osage River.  Kansas troops still encamped.  This days rest has improved the condition of our men wonderfully.  Expect to get off tomorrow morning.


7/9/1861               Tuesday

A very heavy thunder shower early this morning.  Tents were pitched in a hurry.  The Iowa reg't took up its line of march at 6 o'clock for the Osage River.  Roads very heavy and rough.  Co.” I” a train guard.  Arrived at the Osage at four o'clock P.M.  Distance marched 24 miles and a most fatiguing one. Missouri reg'ts only three hour ahead of us & are now crossing the river.  One of the Jackson Guard drowned in Grand River this morning.  Are now 110 miles from Booneville, a long march & not yet ended.


7/10/1861               Wednesday

A beautiful day.  Our reg't busy in getting rested for a long march tomorrow.  Our teams crossing the river this afternoon.  Missouri reg't crossed this morning.  Gen Lyons received important messages from his scouts who came in to day and from what we learn a forced march upon Springfield 76 miles, to aid Gen Seigel in protecting the town will be necessary.  Crossed the Osage at 1 1/2 o'clock A.M. And laid down pretty well used up.


7/11/1861               Thursday

An awful hot day.  Reveille at 3 o'clock.  Started at 5 1/2 for a long and forced march of 76 miles.  Two of the cavalry were shot during the night by a store keeper near the ferry, both killed, the murderer arrested and held as prisoner.  will probably shoot or hang him.  halted at two o'clock after 25 miles, rested until five, and again resumed our march.  Passed a deserted Secesh [probably secession] town called "Steakton", cut down a wire pole etc, marched until daylight and halted for rest & breakfast after making the extraordinary march of 48 miles.  Men nearly dead with fatigue + actually marched the last five miles while asleep.  Dropped on the wet grass and slept until six, turned out to breakfast and


7/12/1861               Friday

A very hot day.  At nine o'clock started again for Springfield, distance 31 miles, men and teams in poor condition for the march today.  At eleven passed through the town of Millville (strong Union) and halted two miles beyond during the extreme heat of the day.  Pitched our tents and remained as Gen Lyons received dispatches from Col. Seigel, the purport of which was that Jackson had heard of our approach and had fallen back into

ArKansas with his force.  Maj. Sturgis's artillery and regulars overtook us here.  Rec'd authoritative information that in the battle of the 6th between Seigel and Jackson the latter lost 1100 men. The former only some 30.


7/13/1861               Saturday

A beautiful day.  Started from camp for Springfield at 5 1/2 A.M. Feeling much refreshed after our days rest.  Men in good spirits, but disappointed in not having a brush with Jackson, as we expected it before this time & our mind was made up for the same.  Nothing worthy of interst occurred on the march except the arrest of one of Jackson's spies.  Halted at 2 1/2 o'clock P.M. 10 Miles from Springfield, having marched 18 miles today.  Feet pretty sore and lame.  One of the artillery men was run over by his gun and caisson breaking an arm & leg.  The former will be amputated today.  Was detailed for guard duty tonight, a pleasant night for it, post no. 3


7/14/1861               Sunday

Warm and cloudy.  On guard until 8 o'clock P.M.  Divine service on parade grounds, Mr Fuller officiating.  Gen Lyons absent to Springfield attending the court martial of Col. Seigel.  Many visitors in camp today from s. Vicinity.  The Kansas Vols' arrived this P.M.   One of their number was executed (shot) at dress parade for murder of a comrade, a sad sight.  Trouble in the cooking department. talk of a change.  Dress parade at 7 o'clock.


7/15/1861               Monday

Showers during the day.  Would probably have gone to Springfield today had it been pleasant.  Nothing of importance going on in camp.  Many of the boys off black berrying and foraging.  Not feeling very well today.  Inspection at 7 o'clock.


7/16/1861               Tuesday

Very pleasant.  Command short of provisions.  Rations today cut down to one quarter.  Charley Morse went to S.. [Springfield] to day- returned at night and reported Gen. Jackson with 12,000 men about 60 miles southwest of Springfield.  Orders from Gen Lyons for company and regimental drills received today.  Regimental drill at four o'clock.  Lt. Col. Merritt commanding.  Col. Bates being absent at Springfield.  Not feeling at all well.


7/17/1861               Wednesday

Very pleasant.  Not feeling well.  Company drills in the morning.  Sent to town for cigar etc.  Usual monotony of camp life.  Regimental drill at four o'clock.  Pretty hard work this warm day.


7/18/1861               Thursday

Warm, very warm, much warmer, yes hot.  Showery in the forenoon, no drill.  Wrote a long letter home.  Regimental drill in the afternoon.  Appearance of thunder showers.  Expect to march to Springfield tomorrow.


7/19/1861               Friday

Tremendous heavy thunder storm today about 2 o'clock this morning.  Everybody completely drenched.  tents no protection.  Owing to the storm we did not move as expected.  No morning drill.  busy in drying our traps.  Short company drill at four o'clock.  Orders rec'd to march tomorrow.  the regiment to be divided.  Tried my hand at griddle cakes, had the best supper of the campaign.


7/20/1861               Saturday

Very warm.  Reveille at 3 o'clock.  Struck tents & broke up camp.  Companies B, I, H, K, & E under Lt. Col. Merritt left for Springfield together with Capt. Trotter's battery of artillery & the 2nd Kansas Reg't with Cavalry.  Arrived at Springfield at noon.  Halted half an hour + marched south.  Much surmising as to our destination.  A fight expected soon.  The brigade under command of Gen. Sweeney of the U.S. Army.  The remainder of Gen. Lyons force went into camp 10 miles west of Springfield.  halted for the night at James River.  Distance marched today 22 miles southward.  A very rainy night. Slept out side


7/21/1861               Sunday

A very rainy day.  Reveille at 3 o'clock.  Resumed our march at 6 o'clock in a drenching rain.  Not feeling well.  Rode most of the way.  Halted at one o'clock 9 miles from our last nights camping grounds.  Passed through the town of Ozark at ten o'clock.  halted here for a short time.  Roads in an awful condition.  Everybody wet through.  Our company out as picket guard.  A rainy night.


7/22/1861               Monday

A very pleasant day.  On the march again at 6 o'clock for Forsyth.  Travelling all day over the Ozark Mts..  The most difficult road yet travelled.  Halted at 2 o'clock for lunch.  Was off again at 3.  are now within 8 miles of our destination.  Must make it today.  When within 5 miles from town orders for double quick was given.  Arrived at town at 6 1/2.  Here met the enemy.  The artillery fired shot and grape.  Three shells were fired into the Courthouse.  Our company the first of the volunteers in the town.  No flinching on the part of our men.  2 Of the cavalry & 4 horses shot.  The enemy completely routed.  Went into camp at 10 o'clock, an exiting day for us.  32 Miles today.  our first battle.  boys as brave as villans.


7/23/1861               Tuesday

A very pleasant day.  Upon search made this morning the dead bodies of 16 secessionists were found on the field of action.  Ransacked the town.  Kansas regiment ahead.  The Stars and Stripes waving from the Court House & Hotel.  At 11 o'clock the order to march was given and we left Forsyth taking the road to Springfield.  Boys in good spirits.  halted at six o'clock for the night at a fine stream.  Distance marched today 15 miles.  Trouble in the rear- cannon fired, two rebels killed.  On guard as corporal, easy night.


7/24/1861               Wednesday

Very pleasant.  Reveille at 3 o'clock.  On the march at 5 1/2.  Crossed some of the highest peaks of the Ozark Mt's today, pretty hard on our teams.  Iowa reg't as rear guard.  Halted at 2 1/2 o'clock and went into camp at our last Sunday's camp ground.  Distance marched today 17 miles & over the roughest roads in the state.  A Kansas company out as pickets.


7/25/1861               Thursday

Very warm and pleasant.  Reveille at 3 o'clock.  Took up our line of march for Springfield at 5.  Iowa boys on the right, passed through Ozark at 6 1/2, arrived at James River at 10 where we halted about an hour, the only rest during the March.  Arrived within a mile of Springfield where we encamped at 12 o'clock, making the march of 19 miles in 6 hours.  Went to town in the afternoon & bought some eatables.  Letters for the regiment received per Guillick.  Read one from mother & Frank dated June 18.  Met several of our boys who remained at home.


7/26/1861               Friday

Very pleasant.  Reveille at 4 o'clock.  At seven took up our line of march for the encampment of the balance of our regiment distance some 12 miles from Springfield, which we reached at 12 o'clock.  The boys all glad to see us and interested with the account of our tramp.  Was glad to get home once more after the hardwork of the past week, the hardest yet experienced.  A box containing havelocks [Havelock definition here] for Co's I & II from the ladies of Dubuque arrived in the camp tonight per Quarter Master Guilich.


7/27/1861               Saturday

Warm and pleasant.  Our men resting from the fatigue of their long march.  Little else going on in camp.  Flour and meal distributed among the men, each mess doing its' own cooking.  Tried my hand at the corn meal griddle cakes.  Orders received for us to hold ourselves in readiness for march at a moments notice.  Report current that Jackson is advancing this way.  An account of the battle at Manasses rec'd in camp today.


7/28/1861               Sunday

Very warm and pleasant.  Wrote a long letter home giving an account of our fight and expedition of the past week.  In the afternoon an expedition consisting of a portion of the 1st Missouri Cavalry & Artillery left for some point west, probably not to be long absent as their encampment was not struck.  Capt. returned from town this evening.


7/29/1861               Monday

Warm and pleasant.  No drills in camp today.  Most of the company busy in cooking their corn meal our only living.  Rumors in camp that we shall soon leave for St Louis.  Mr. McGinnis a member of Co. A died this evening, the first death in our reg't.  A beautiful night.


7/30/1861               Tuesday

Very warm and pleasant.  No drilling in camp.  Our team went in

town this morning sent for some fresh provisions.  All sorts of rumors in camp relative to the forces of Jackson approaching this way to make an attack upon Springfield, also rumors that our reg't is to be sent off on another expedition.  Can credit but little that we hear in these times.  At sunset Mr. McGinnis of Co. A was buried with military honors.  At 11:30 o'clock(night) the camp was alarmed by the firing of our pickets.  The force was quickly turned out and formed in line of battle where we remained until 2 o'clock expecting an attack from the enemy, but none appearing we were dismissed until another call.  Much exitement. 


7/31/1861               Wednesday

Very warm and pleasant.  Men all busy in cooking up their quart of corn meal, our only means of subsistance-ing.  A great deal of indignation expected at the manner in which we are treated as regards commissary department.  Our officers will inquire into the matter today.  No drilling as the men are not in a fit condition for work.  Startling rumors regarding the approach of Jackson's force are afloat again today.  A pint & half of flour per man distributed for tomorrows rations, also some meal that had been taken possession of by the flies.


8/1/1861               Thursday

the hottest day 0f the season thus far.  Impossible to keep comfortable.  On the cook squad today.  Orders received this afternoon for no men or teams to be absent from their quarters, but to be ready to move at a moments notice.  While preparing supper the roll was sounded and orders to pack up rec'd.  This was done and we immediately formed in columns for a march.  At seven the brigade was in motion silently moving southward.  Supposed we are to join Gen. Seigel's forces from Springfield and meet Jackson's forces who are marching upon that town 20,000 strong.


8/2/1861               Friday

At 2 o'clock we halted in the road and laid down for a short rest.  Slept soundly in the dust.  Was routed out at four and proceeded on our way.  Was here joined by Gen Lyons & Gen Seigel's command force.  Now amounts to about 7000 with 16 pieces of artillery.  Weather insufferably hot and but little water.  Considerable suffering among the men.  at 11 o'clock the enemies pickets were driven in by a charge of grape from one of our guns.  at one a body of horsemen was seen and a skirmish ensued.  two regulars killed, four wounded.  Posted our battery and went into camp.  At four was posted out and our artillery engaged a force of some 800 from out the rebel side.  About 80 killed and 30 wounded.  At eight laid on our arms to rest.


8/3/1861               Saturday

At 2 1/2 the alarm was sounded and the camp turned out, but after remaining under arms for an hour or two it was thought to be a false alarm and we got our breakfast.  immediately after the force was in motion in pursuit of the enemy.  At about ten they appeared in sight on the side of a hill.  The 1st Iowa and Kansas 2nd were immediately deposed forward as skirmishers under cover of Capt. Dotten's battery who threw three or four shot and shell among them.  Was in the woods skirmishing until about one o'clock when we took up our position assigned us for the night. still sleeping under arms.  Was able to fire a few shots at the rebels who were all mounted.  took quite a number of prisoners.  Weather excessively hot.  Quite a number of cases of sunstroke.  Our camp is that occupied by the rebels last night.  The most exiting day yet passed.


8/4/1861               Sunday

Was turned out at about 2 1/2 o'clock and remained under orders until nine when we retraced our steps towards Springfield.  At a consultation of the officers of the force it was not deemed advisable to proceed further south, as reports of large rebel forces advancing upon Springfield were received.  At least so says Madam Rumor.  At 10 we were fairly under weigh.  As we approached from the wood to rejoin the command we were reported to Gen Lyons as seccionists, and four pieces of artillery were turned upon us, but our colors appearing in sight his mistake was seen and we were saved from a charge of grape.  In the afternoon our rear guard was attacked which delayed us an hour or two.  Camped in a corn field twelve miles from Springfield.  At ten o'clock had a cup of coffee and a piece of bread & turned in at 12 o'clock & slept soundly. Very hot, 105 in the shade, many cases of sunstroke.


8/5/1861               Monday

Reveille at 4 o'clock.  Took up our line of march for Springfield at 6 o'clock.  Weather extremely hot, thermometer 110 in the shade.  Col Seigel's command in advance.  halted for water and rest from 11 to one o'clock.  Arrived at Springfield at about 3.  went into camp a mile S.W. of town.  Our company detailed for picket guard tonight, stationed a mile and half from camp.  While in camp this morning received two copies of the "Wizard" forwarded from Springfield. Was pleased as well as surprised to receive mail matter here.


8/6/1861               Tuesday

Very warm.  A very exiting day.  Orders to hold ourselves in readiness to march received, and from reports we are in a tight place.  the rebel force reported to be in large numbers and within a few miles of town.  A hard fight and perhaps a retreat is expected.  All streets + roads from town fortified.  Took up our position on the Forsyth road at nine P.M.  Col. Soloman on the left.  Commissary train arrived from Rolla today.  Slept on our arms, a very quiet night.


8/7/1861                Wednesday

A warm day, but good breeze.  Still under orders on the Forsyth road.  No attack yet but expect one hourly.  Rumors of all sorts are in circulation in camp.  The opinion of main is that we will retreat upon Rolla, but probably not before trying the metal of the enemy.  Three companies of the regiment detailed for picket duty.  Co. I had inspection of arms at 7 o'clock.  Will perform picket duty tomorrow.  I turned in at nine o'clock and slept soundly.  Was not disturbed until morning.


8/8/1861               Thursday

A beautiful day.  Was turned out at 3 1/2 o'clock .  At 5 our company took up its position as picket guard about a mile from camp.  At 11 o'clock captain brought the news from camp that the enemy were within 3 miles from town and that we should probably be ordered to the scene of action very soon.  Great exitement in camp and town.  The whole force under arms.  Gen. Seigel's companies marching to the town.  Our teams are leaving in great haste.  people leaving town in great numbers.  6 O'clock, report that the above was a false alarm.  Cavalry had a skirmish with the rebels killing 13, loss on our side four.  Was relieved from picket duty by Co. E at 7 o'clock.  Orders for 9 companies of our regiment to leave this evening on expedition.


8/9/1861               Friday

Very pleasant.  Was turned out very early this morning reason unknown.  Very quiet in camp until afternoon when a heavy thunder shower and orders for our regiment to be in readiness for a night march upon the enemy some two miles distant caused some com____ rumors that Gen. Lyons is to detain us here some time after our

enlistment expires is current.  Companies very indignant at seven o'clock.


8/10/1861               Saturday

Halted at one o'clock and laid down for rest, only 3 miles from the enemies camp.  At 3:30 was again on the march.  At 5 we approached the enemy and first shot was fired by Gen. Seigels command.  The battle then opened in earnest, both parties using artillery and small arms.  Our regiment was assigned a position in the thickest of the fight and fought bravely.  Supported Capt. Tottens battery.  At 8 o'clock Gen. Lyons was killed having received two shots.  Gen'ls Irving & Seigel were also wounded, the battle was now raging terrible on both sides but little advantage gained on either side.  At one o'clock we fell back upon Springfield.  Co. I had 1 killed & 20 wounded.  Rebels loss about 3000  our loss about 1000.  Received two bullets through my clothes.  McCulloch’s forces estimated at 25,000, ours at 5500.


8/11/1861               Sunday

Was turned out at 2 o'clock and the whole force together with the inhabitants of the town commenced their retreat towards Rolla.  Suppose that the enemy will pursue us.  Halted for rest in the middle of the day.  Resumed our march at 3 o'clock & proceeded on way.  People all along the road packing up and leaving the country.  Halted for the night at 10 o'clock, distant 27 miles from Springfield.  A hard days work but we did it cheerfully.  Messenger from Springfield arrived and reported that a portion of McCulloch's troops had entered & taken possession of the town.  Had raised the confederate flag & reported our wounded were cared for and treated.  Heard that Gen. Rains was killed yesterday.


8/12/1861               Monday

Pleasant and comfortable for marching.  Was turned out early and after much delay in forming our train we got under weigh. Marched about two miles, stacked our muskets and waited for Col. Soloman's command to get their breakfast.  had a cup of coffee ourselves.  Was delayed here an hour or two.  Resumed our march and halted for the day at a fine spot.  distance only eight miles from our last night's camping place.  Cloudy and showery in the afternoon.  Rigged up a blanket shade & made myself as comfortable as possible.


8/13/1861               Tuesday

A fine day for marching.  Was turned out at two o'clock for breakfast.  At four was on our way towards Rolla.  Marched easily and in good order.  Arrived at the town of Lebanon at noon.  Got an apology for a dinner at the "Washington House", considerable Secesh sentiment here.  Report that Col. Hardie with 10,000 was advancing upon Wanesville to cut our command & train, and that McCulloch with a force would attack our rear was received.  At 2 o'clock resumed our march (not taking the main road to Rolla) camped at 6 o'clock 25 miles from last nights grounds.


8/14/1861               Wednesday

Very pleasant.  Breakfast at 2 o'clock.  Marched at 4 1/2. Country very mountainous and roads very rough.  hard on the teams.  Halted at 12 o'clock and camped as the enemy are now drawing near us on all sides and we must wait for reinforcements before we can proceed.  My opinion is that we are all in a very tight box.  Our term of enlistment expires today.  Not one feels sorry, but all wish we were safely in St. Louis.


8/15/1861               Thursday

Warm and pleasant.  Was turned out at 2 o'clock, but being in the rear guard we did not get started until 7.  Roads rough and hilly.  Was ahead of the command most of the day.  Major Sturgis assumed command of our force in place of Gen. Seigel, the former is way in advance.  Halted at 5 1/2 o'clock for the night on the little Piney.  are now 20 miles from Rolla.  Have marched 24 miles today.


8/16/1861               Friday

Warm and pleasant.  Rear guard on the march at 7 o'clock.  Arrived at the Gasconade River at 11 o'clock which we forded with some difficulty.  are now within 12 miles of Rolla.  At 4 o'clock the brigade encamped five miles from town.  the 1st Iowa reg't eat supper & started for Rolla where we arrived at 10 o'clock.  Great rejoicing among the boys.  Leave tomorrow morning for St. Louis, our campaign about ended.


8/17/1861               Saturday

Warm and pleasant.  All hands busy in getting ready for departure.  Gave up our muskets to Col. Wyman.  Rec'd our new uniforms.  The 13th, 14th & 16th Illinois Reg'ts stationed here.  At 11 o'clock "all aboard" was sounded and the 1st Iowa Reg't departed for St. Louis amid the cheers of thousands.  Arrived at St. Louis at 6 o'clock.  Marched to the arsenal grounds & went into quarters.  We are once more in a civilized country, thank God.


8/18/1861               Sunday

Warm and pleasant.  Laid around the arsenal grounds until noon, when a squad went to town.  got cleaned up and secured quarters at the New York hotel.  Seemed good to get something to eat once more.  Visited the dutch gardens in the evening.  Retired at about 11 o'clock, but found it impossible to sleep in a bed.


8/19/1861               Monday

Warm and pleasant.  Was about town all day.  Boys getting cleaned up.  may begin to look respectable.  Wrote a few lines home informing them of my safe return to St. Louis.  In the evening attended "Martins Gayities" a poor affair.  An Indiana reg't, well armed and equipped arrived today.  A great many troops in and about the city.


8/20/1861               Tuesday

Very pleasant.  Orders to report at the Arsenal to be mustered out of service at 11 o'clock.  reported at that time, but the necessary papers not being ready, went downtown to dinner, and again at three o'clock went to the arsenal & was formaly mustered

out of service of the U.S.  Spent the evening with Vic Williams at Miss Laura Main's.  Met quite a number of young ladies.  Had a fine time.


8/21/1861               Wednesday

Very warm and pleasant.  Commenced a letter home but was not able to finish it.  Ordered to report at 2 o'clock to receive our pay from the U.S.  After a delay of an hour or two we received the amount due us, viz $52.32.  good feeling existing among the members.  Are to start for home tomorrow morning via I.N.& A. R.R.  Purchased my ticket this evening.  Heavy thunder shower this afternoon.  Attended the "Museum" in the evening.  Westlake and Leary arrived from Springfield.


8/22/1861               Thursday

Very pleasant.  At 8 o'clock took a bus at the "Planter's House" and went to the depot of the I. L, A, & I.H R.R. Where Co's H & I took the cars for Dubuque.  Arrived at Pana at noon, waited there about two hours and then proceeded on the I.C.R.R. [ Illinois Central Rail Road] Arrived at Waupella at dark, took a sleeping car & turned in.  Slept soundly


8/23/1861               Friday

A beautiful morning.  Arrived at Dunleith at 9 o'clock.  here found a large crowd of old friends with the Alamania Band awaiting us amid the roar of artillery from both sides of the river.  Embarked aboard the ferry boat and crossed to Dubuque where we found a tremendous crowd awaiting us.  A large crowd of military, firemen & civilians escorted us to the park where an elegant reception awaited us.  Met our old friends all of whom were so happy to meet us.  The happiest day of my life & a great day for Co's H & I & Dubuque.


8/24/1861               Saturday

Warm and pleasant.  Called upon many of my friends.  All happy to see us.  Dined with Mr. Pettit at the "Julien House".  With friend Fay most of the afternoon. 


8/26/1861                Monday

Commenced with Smith & Cannon. 


9/6/1861                Friday

Was taken sick with bilous fever.  Dr. Say called.


9/7/1861                Saturday

No better.  Dr. Called 3 times today.


9/8/1861                Sunday

Worse.  Dr. Here 3 times.


9/20/1861               Friday

Went down to the store today.


10/24/1861              Thursday

Left Dubuque in the afternoon in company with Charley Estes,

Nelson Fuller, & Walter Dyer on the Str. "Northern Light" for Brownsville, Minn. On a hunting trip.  Arrived at Prairie du Chein at midnight.


10/25/1861              Friday

Arrived at Bad Ax at noon.  Left the steamer here and proceeded in our small boat some two miles below and went into camp.  Camp Estes


10/26/1861              Saturday

Camp Estes


10/27/1861              Sunday

Camp mush


10/28/1861              Monday

Camp mush


10/29/1861              Tuesday

Camp mush


10/30 1861              Wednesday

Camp kettle


10/31/1861              Thursday

Camp Hungry


11/3/1861               Sunday

Camp Poole


11/4/1861               Monday

Mc Gregor


11/5/1861               Tuesday

And home


11/25/1861              Monday

A year ago today left Dubuque for South Danvers.


11/28/1861              Thursday

A year ago this evening arrived home (so. Danvers) after an absence of more than four years.  A happy meeting for all. 


12/10/1861              Tuesday

Commenced month at Heyne's


12/18/1861              Wednesday

My 25th birthday

Written while encamped at Booneville Mo.  with Gen. Lyon's force of about 3000 troops on Sunday the 30th of June, and on the eve of our departure for the ArKansas border, where we expect to meet a large number of the rebels and have a brush with them.  That I will live and be permitted to return to witness this day is not known.  Should I not, think of me when you look upon this.  Horace


Unkown who wrote this – appears to be an age calculation

List of clothes

Payment for Dr. Lay? Order for store?

Order for store?

More orders for store?

More orders for store?

Quartmaster notes?

List of men



List of the killed and wounded of Co. I 1st Iowa regiment at the battle near Springfield, Mo. Aug. 10th 1861


1. J. H. McHenry - temple - killed

2. J. J. Wall - badly - abdomen - died

3. G. H. Batton - badly - breast

4. S. W. Mattis - leg

5. Geo. C. Pierce - leg

6. L. Webb - leg

7. Chas. Weigle - leg

8. Henry Dannah - arm - arm amputated

9. Robt. Williams - leg

10. O. W. Bennett - leg

11. C. Gregory - hand

12. Jas. O'grady - leg

13. C. W. Morning - foot

14. John Bell - thigh

15. John leary - foot

16. A. G. Mcdonald - leg

17. Chas. Clark - side

18. Ed. Tisdal - neck

19. Adj't Waldron –


Total    1 Killed

            18 Wounded


These Three item were found in a pouch in the back of the diary:

Newspaper clipping

Card for J. B. Morgan, D.D.S. – Served with Horace

Card for ThosB.Fargo


Outside of back of diary